A family of 5 in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State, were killed in their sleep by generator fumes. Eyewitnesses alleged that Mr. Chaly Chibuogwu, his wife and three children died shortly after switching on their generator inside their house.
Facebook user, Udoka Emmanuel who shared a photo of the family after the generator fumes tragedy, wrote;
Chaly Chibuogwu from Idumu Ozue, Umuolo Onicha Olona based in portharcout with his wife and three children died inside their house. They went to bed last night and never woke up.
Same incident played out at Akpata Street in Egor Local Government Area of Edo State, after a power generator left running throughout the night, left six members of a family dead, with their father in coma.
It was further gathered that some neighbours raised the alarm when the bodies of the family were seen lying lifeless in their apartment, after the door was forced opened. Their lifeless bodies, which were later taken to Benin Central Hospital, reportedly attracted sympathizers, who resorted to prayers for God’s intervention for their survival.
However, that was not to be as they were confirmed dead and their remains deposited at the Benin Central Hospital mortuary, just as the father of the deceased children, identified as Tochukwu Okwueze, was said to have been taken to a hospital in the Eweka area of Benin for medical attention, after he was found in coma.
One of the relatives of the deceased, Vincent, said:
“My younger brother called me from Lagos and asked me what was happening? I said I did not know.
“He told me to go to the house, that something not pleasing to the ears had just happened. I called her (deceased woman) phone line. Somebody picked the call and said that they slept and did not wake up. So I had to rush down.
“The whole family was affected. But the Police told me that the father survived it. They said though his case was serious, if there was the need to refer him to University of Benin Teaching Hospital, they would call me.
“It is a family of seven. The youngest is a set of twins.”